Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Weekend Discoveries

Jess K, Linds and I decided to kill our TeamLLcoolJ blog. It had a good run and we'll always be TeamLLcoolJ in spirit, just now not in blog form.

Anywhoo, I was going to post this over there but now I'm back here. I know, it's a tough life. But! I am about to reward my faithful readers (all 2 of you...) with some top secret information that I discovered this weekend!

#1 What do you get when you combine two of the most amazing paleo foods? Bacon + Kale = BACALE! This is my new favorite dish EVER!

Yum yum, here's how I did it:
1. Buy nitrate free bacon pieces and the curliest kale you can find. Curly kale is what makes it!
2. Throw the bacon into the skillet first, it needs more time to cook than kale.
3. As the bacon starts cooking and the fat rendering, tear the kale from it's stalk in bite size pieces and add to skillet.
4. Stir all the bacon fat into the kale. You can add some pepper to taste but it's pretty good as is too. Cook until kale browns a tinge and bacon looks nice and crispy.

#2 My second discovery is not really mine. Carey Kepler gave a great talk about cleansing and it inspired me to go buy a blender which I was somehow living this long without. I didn't want to make a fruit smoothie because I'm laying off the fruit so I made a smoothie out of: spinach, carrots, 1 egg, coconut oil, mint, and lemon. It sounds so gross and I was just throwing random stuff from my refrig in there but it tasted so good! I think it was the lemon that made it. I'm going to call these my Willy Nilly smoothies where anything goes!


Good luck to the Spartan and Trojans this weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I speak for the rest of us when I say WELCOME BAAAACK! That first dish kind of reminds me of a dish I made for last Thanksgiving, bacon garlic brussels sprouts. All the taste and none of the carbs! That shit was damn good!

    And yikes, that smoothie concoction does sound a little bit scary. But maybe it's just the raw egg that scares me...GRRR. You're so hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! I've missed my weekly update of young Lory's Adventures. When can we all get together for Paleo pot luck? I'm on this crazy Spartan Challenge for a few weeks, so I'm looking for things to do that do not involve temptation (booze and bad food).

    At any rate, I'm going to try this kale dish. I can't think of a better way to cook it. Bacon makes everything better.

    Hope to see you soon! Much Luv!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Annie - Bacon brussel sprouts sounds almost as good as bacon kale. Next time I'm a Sprouts I'm going to pick some brussels up.

    @ Jess - Good luck with that crazy Spartan workout! Kasper loves it but me, notsomuch.

    ReplyDelete